Friday 3 May 2024

Rock casting part 1

After ballasting the yard I made a start in casting rocks. I needed plenty and use the Woodland Scenics rock moulds. The plaster that I had on hand seemed to do fine when mixed with my ground cover dirt, but the rock castings I made with it had a chalky texture. I wondered if it had been sitting too long. I discovered this after painting and staining the first rock moulds I had fitted to the hillside above the town where a lot of the detail sadly got washed out. They looked quite featureless and dull. I bought some new plaster, which fixed the problem going forward. 

I thought I would have to pull out the failed castings and refit and shape new ones. But before I did that I thought about carving the old castings to see if I could put more detail into them. I hacked and chipped away at the castings using a pick and a craft knife. They didn't look too bad at all, so I decided to leave them in place. This gave me the confidence to try carving rocks on another part of the layout, so it was worth experimenting with. 

The rock castings before blending them together and painting. 


The final result after carving the castings and painting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment