Monday 1 October 2018

Some different models

When I was a teenager I used to build 1.72 scale model aircraft. I kept these models in a shoebox that has somehow managed to follow me around my university days and first 10 years of marriage. I dug them out earlier this year to show my son who is nearly five years old. He was very taken with them and I thought it would be cool to work on a kit with him. Even though the skills were not there, his enthusiasm certainly was. I welcomed the opportunity to for a different modelling challenge.

We started with a model of a Corsair, (Skipper if you have ever watched Pixar's movie Planes). This was pretty easy as it was mostly one colour and was made up of only a few key pieces. My Son did well with this kit. He would sit on my lap, I'd load up the flat brush and he would paint where I directed him. I would take over every so often so as to smooth out some of the imperfections (I couldn't help myself), but he certainly earned his kids wings.










After this, I decided a twin-engine bomber kit would be good for him because it has more surface area right? easier for him to paint? Well no. I chose a nice Revell JU88 kit, of course, a JU88 has a lot of glass to mask off and you see more of the interior made up of little bits and pieces. Nevermind. When he was in bed I spent a few evenings doing the itsy bitsy bits and masking the canopy. He and I then assembled the plane and I masked the camouflage pattern and we followed the same technique as the Corsair.

After the models were complete, we took photos of the models. We mounted the planes on a stick and my son held a hair dryer up at the planes to spin the propellors. All photos were taken outside in natural sunlight. All in all, great projects.

But back to the trains now...
















No comments:

Post a Comment