Friday 15 July 2016

The railroad

The Thoroughfare Gap Railroad connects the settlements of Teresaton and Cass with Erewhon (staging) which goes on to interchange with the Union Pacific transcontinental mainline. I haven't settled on an exact locale for the meeting point which does give me some modelling license. I've found it easier to not pick an exact location as it allows to me model scenes that I want to include. 

The layout started life 9 years ago as a 1200x2000mm (4x6.5 feet) table layout which focused on rugged, arid canyon scenery. To begin with it was more of a rail fanning layout with some switching interest at the end of the line. I also enjoy the bush and mountains, so when I discovered the desire to operate my railroad in a more realistic point to point manner I found the space to build an extension around the walls, essentially using the table layout as a double sided peninsula. The extension models both a deciduous and redwood forest in seperate scenery areas and includes a logging area and sawmill as well as the small town of Cass. Presently the trains travel out onto a temporary staging area representing Erewhon (nowhere spelt backwards). I plan to build a more permanent section that would model some of Erewhon and I'm interested in exploring making all of part of this a snow scene.


Two lumberjacks pose the stump of a recently felled redwood. 

The line coming into Teresaton. A cattle drive approaches the coral.



Teresaton's main street



The first extension, the logging area and redwood forest before the forest.



No comments:

Post a Comment