Saturday 1 June 2019

Derailments

Recently, I had the privilege of a visit from some fellow model railway enthusiasts. Before my guests arrived I cleaned the tracks, made up several trains and test drove them around the layout to ensure everything was working properly. When my visitors arrived, we started running the trains around the layout. Unfortunately, every train that ran encountered at least one derailment in its passage over the layout. While it didn't dampen my visitor's spirits, I was disappointed the layout ran so poorly. I decided to take steps to minimize further derailments. Firstly I resolved to troubleshoot derailments when they occur. Upon reflection, when I am running trains by myself, I’ve tolerated small derailments because I don't want to interrupt my operating session. I think this lead to a mental bias that the layout actually was running better than it actually was. I’ve accepted that my operating sessions will be interrupted for now. But it will be so I can enjoy more trouble free running in the future. If I can’t resolve a derailment at the time, I will document it, the locomotives and cars involved and work on it at a later date.

Sometimes derailments are easily rerailed in the moment. But stopping to troubleshoot the problem should reduce problems in the future. 

Troubleshooting invariably requires some patience and observation as to what is occurring at the site of a derailment. I've found an HO standards gauge is indispensable when diagnosing problems. By studying my derailments more closely, I could see that most of the cars involved were using Kadee metal wheelsets with plastic axles. About half my rolling stock was equipped with Kadee’s and half with Walthers Proto 33” wheelsets. The Walthers wheelsets are all metal, including the axles. I had found that on my trackwork, the Walthers wheelsets ran smoother and the cars rolled more freely than the Kadee wheelsets. So I decided to standardise and purchased more Walthers Proto 33” wheelsets for the rest of the fleet. Since installing the new wheelsets I’ve seen a dramatic drop in the number of rolling stock derailments. I’m not saying the Walthers wheelsets are better outright, they just appear to work better with my track, which I concede is a bit rough in places. One resource I have found helpful is Joe Fugate’s Make it run like a Dream series. So far Joe has released two books, available in print or ebook, and is working on the third concerning locomotives. Joe shares a multitude of insights and tips to help attain trouble-free running. You can find Joe's books for sale at the Model Railroad Hobbyist store.






2 comments:

  1. Interesting...I have very few derailments, but when I do I either ignore them as you mentioned, or if they are persistent enough, begin troubleshooting. I have one locomotive that doesn't like to travel through a particular turnout running reverse, but it's a 2-8-0 with a traction tire on the rear driver, and that has a slight wobble so it picks the points only occasionally. I've read that prototype 2-8-0s were prone to similar reverse derailments and generally were advised to run in reverse more slowly. I tried that and it helps with this model too!

    But I hadn't considered the type of metal wheels to be an issue. I too use Kadee metal wheels as a drop-in replacement for plastic. I like the ribbed back-side as a period touch. Next derailment I have I'll have to note the wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is excellent that you have mostly trouble free running. I'm pleased to know I'm not the only one who is temped to ignore derailments, especially when one is having fun!

    That is interesting about your 2-8-0 and the particular turnout. Interesting that prototype practice helps with the scale version too. It must mean the model is accurate!

    Some of my turnouts have quite tight radii and in my wisdom, I have laid the odd turnout at a change in grade, which compounds issues. In a few cases I've extended the check/guard rails and modified the points of the frog so it doesn't pick flanges.

    If you do try different wheelsets, I'd be interested to know if you think they make any difference.

    ReplyDelete