Friday 24 November 2023

A Train Robbery - Diorama update

A while back I made several posts about a diorama I'd been making for my Dad based on the opening scene of the film The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford. The diorama was finished scenery-wise and in residence on my Dad's shelf however, the lights from the special effects lighting did not provide a good nighttime atmosphere.

I used about 20cm of LED strip lights and painted them blue with Tamiya clear blue paint. This allows the light to shine through and changes the colour of the light. I use this technique a lot to get the right colour for oil lamps (using Tamiya clear orange). I connected up the LED strip to a spare port in the wiring harness and we were done. I think the blue light is enough to give off an atmosphere of a moonlit night and it means that the diorama isn't so dark that you can't see the details. 


The diorama before the lights

After adding the blue-tinted LEDs








No comments:

Post a Comment