Sunday 17 September 2017

New headlight for Leviathan

Leviathan is the largest locomotive on the Thoroughfare Gap Railroad. She is a Baldwin ten wheeler, used in heavy freight and also in passenger service. The model is a Bachmann 4-6-0 with Tsunami sound. I have backdated the model a bit with some simple modifications. I repainted it, moved the Westinghouse pump to the driver's side, gave it a wood cab, removed the generator and changed the headlight to an oil burning model.

The headlights in these models are lit by an LED mounted inside the boiler. The light is transmitted to the headlight by a light bar. This light output from this arrangement was always too dim for my liking, and the LED that came in the locomotive gave a cool white light.

I replaced the light with a 1.8mm warm white LED. I drilled out the headlight and mounted the LED inside the headlight box. This required some minor modification of the frame to accommodate the wiring. I think the final result was worth it.  Let me know what you think.

Leviathan simmers outside the Erewhon engine house.

1 comment:

  1. It certainly looks a lot better that the factory.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete