Friday 6 September 2024

Stone Roundhouse Scratchbuild Part 3

 After sorting out the jig and wall template for the front and far side of the roundhouse, I added the layer of clay and started carving. This went faster than I expected. I could have benefited from a smaller pick, as the one I had was quite long (from my workshop) making it a little harder to use with finesse. 

As it dried, I test-fitted some doors from my two-stall engine house from the old layout, which I used as a template for the engine doors. I would like to be able to have some of the doors be able to open and shut, but I'm not sure yet how I would make a resilient hinge that is also discrete. I will keep researching this and may initially just glue them open.

The prototype roundhouse has supporting columns in between each stall and on the edges of the roundhouse. At this stage I don't think I'll add these. Because they will be thin they will be more difficult to carve and additionally, it would likely draw more attention to my uneven stall spacing. 






2 comments:

  1. Do you want the doors to be able to rotate open/shut, or just be adjusted by you to be open OR shut? If the later, you could always just keep them retained with small magnets. If the former, could you drill very tiny holes above/below one side of the door and into the doorframe and insert small pieces of wire or pins to serve as hinges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas. I'd never thought of using magnets for 'posing' the doors. I'll add both those to my list of potential ideas! Thanks

    ReplyDelete