Sunday 19 July 2020

What's in a name? - How and why I named my locomotives

All the locomotives on my railroad, bar one, have names. I've always liked the practice of naming locomotives rather than simply numbering them.

Railroads were, and continue to be, in competition with each other for passengers and freight. Retailers today entice customers with a well-presented shop front or with an easy to use website. Before the turn of the 19th century, locomotives were part of the 'shop front'. They were highly visible (and audible) advertisements for your business. Subsequently, the railroads took pride in their locomotives making sure they were kept clean and shiny. Naming locomotives was a way of adding personality and a story to your business. Accordingly, names often involved some form of superlative image of elegance, strength or speed.

As railroad empires grew in size, the practice of naming locomotives became increasingly difficult. Administration could become confusing if a name was reused. Perhaps grand names were open to the possibility of ridicule if they didn't live up to their name. For example, if a passenger locomotive named Cannonball came in late or a freight locomotive named Goliath failed to make it up the grade the irony would not be lost on the public at large.   Eventually, naming locomotives was dropped in favour of simple numbers, along with their colourful victorian era liveries, which were exchanges for the all too familiar black. 

I have six locomotives, and while from what I can see naming locomotives seemed to have fallen out of favour by 1895, I like the story it tells and the personality it brings to the railroad. So I continue the practice, arguing that the Thoroughfare Gap Railroad is small enough for naming locomotives to continue to be practical. 

All the locomotive names on my railroad were once used by the Central Pacific Railroad, and are taken from a copy of their 1968 locomotive roster, which I've included below. (Full resolution can be found at the CPRR Museum website here. You can see that towards the end of the roster they started to run out of inspiration for new names and began using slight variations of the same name!




I decided to pick names from this list to try and keep a degree of authenticity in naming conventions for that period. Ultimately, I picked names that appealed to me, but there was some personality involved in the choices. 

  • Jupiter - This was an actual Central Pacific engine (as seen as promontory), so she keeps her name.
  • Firefly - I just like this name. It didn't sound too grand and didn't want too many locomotives with names from mythology. 
  • Leviathan - While in reality, the reak Leviathan locomotive was a sister of Jupiter, I chose this name because the image of strength it carries and bestowed it on my ten-wheeler which is at home at the head of passengers or heavy freights. 
  • Mountaineer - I love the mountains and mountain railroading. My railroad edges around steep cliffs and ravines to create a sense of drama. A mountaineer is nimble and surefooted, characteristics of my fast large drivered 4-4-0.
  • Griffin - The powerful and ancient mythical creature that rises from the ashes. What could be more appropriate for a locomotive kitbashed from a number 'dead' locomotives?
The only locomotive not named is, of course, 119. I have not been able to determine if at any point the Union Pacific named its locomotives. But certainly, by 1869 they were using numbers. As my model represents 119 as we think she looked, I've simply retained her number.

Have you named the locomotives on your railroad (officially or unofficially) or can you recall seeing or riding any named trains like the 20th Century Limited (USA) or the Night Limited (NZ)? Please feel free to share in the comments below.



5 comments:

  1. No named locomotives yet, but a kitbashed caboose/combine was named 'Maggie' after my parents' portly feline. Now years later I have a dog named Maggie so the name has stuck. I plan to repaint the car into an Ocali Creek livery but even then will retain the moniker.

    As to the list - wow! There's even one named 'Terrible'. I suppose that can have the meaning of 'Terrifying' or 'Terrific' as we think of those words today in a positive light. And who knew foxes came in so many colors?

    I like the logic behind your choices - thanks for sharing!

    Galen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Galen, thanks for sharing. Great story about naming your caboose. It's often names that have some significance for us that we choose.

    I had forgotten about "Terrible". A google search show that the use of that word was used more during 1850 - 1910 than it is today. It certainly is an interesting name choice and kind of goes against the reasoning in my post. Though, as you point out, it is a word that conveys strong feeling, or maybe even power (albeit negatively).

    And yes, what was with the foxes? I'd love to know if there was some background to that or a simple lack of inspiration.

    Thanks for reading and commenting.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thought on naming steam engines - all of the locomotives at Disneyland in California are named for former presidents of the Santa Fe Railroad (as the DRR used to be the Santa Fe and Disneyland RR) with the lone exception being named the Ward Kimball, after Walt's dear friend and imagineer who loved trains almost as much as, if not more than, Walt himself.

      The Walt Disney World RR in Orlando, Florida, has locomotives all named for Walt and his family. The Disneyland RR in Paris's locos are named for American historic figures including Buffalo Bill Cody and George Washington, with the cars in each assigned train named to match. The exception there is the Eureka, whose cars are all named after California cities. The Western River Expedition RR at Tokyo Disneyland's locomotives are named after...wait for it...U.S. Rivers. Sadly, Shanghai Disneyland does not have a park-encircling railroad.

      So, thanks to Disney, there will always be a stable of steam breathing iron horses with names in daily operation, somewhere around the globe.

      I always look forward to your blog updates.

      Galen

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I just noticed I described Griffin as the mythical creature that rises from the ashes. Of course thats a Phoenix. The Griffin is a mythical creature that combines parts of different animals into one, which is what makes the meaning of the name for this locomotive more apt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have named my locomotives after my friends, family, and significant others. I'll always remember them!

    ReplyDelete