Sunday 25 November 2018

John Ott's locomotive art prints

A month or so back I ordered two of John Ott's locomotive art prints that he has for sale on his early rail website http://www.ottgalleries.com/. The prints are in the style of the lithographs produced by locomotive builders in the mid 19th century.

When I enquired about purchasing the prints, I found that John has been very busy indeed and has completed many more prints than he has listed on his website, including a new version of the Central Pacific's Jupiter 4-4-0.

The new version is a likely colour scheme based on the latest research. As much as I like the Jupiter's blue colour scheme displayed on the replica at Promontory presently, I felt that if I was going to hang something on my wall I wanted it to be as authentic as possible. So I ordered a print of the Jupiter with her likely colour scheme. I also ordered a print of the 119. Both engines captivated my imagination as a young boy and are largely responsible for my interest in early railroads.

John Ott's prints of the Jupiter and the 119 hang on the wall along with a golden spike. (Unfortunately not real gold).

John was very helpful and shipped the two prints very promptly all the way to New Zealand. The prints spent some time with the local picture framers and I now have them back ready to go on the wall.

John has really put an incredible amount of research and detail into these prints. If you are a fan of early railroads, you won't be disappointed with these prints. They are fantastic and my kids think they are great too. Hopefully, they inspire another generation of early rail modellers.


No comments:

Post a Comment